Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Private Sam

Heard from Sam tonight. He called and filled me in on his basic training experience so far. He sounds very strong, very motivated.

He's been doing a lot of BRM. (That's Basic Rifle Marksmanship for you civilians out there.) He shot the hell out of the 300 meter target, which really impresses me, because I'm not that good with an M16. (I'm hell with a .45, a 9mm, and pretty much any machinegun, though.)

Sam has gotten one package from me, even though I've sent 3 so far. My first went to a different unit, and I'm mad that they didn't forward it to him. He requested a "Game Informer" magazine, so I'll look for that tomorrow.

I have to say that I'm very proud of this young man. There is simply nothing that a teenage man can do that is better for him than military service. I can hear in Sam's voice the maturity and drive. I'm loving it. Even though Sam and the other kids have their differences with me lately, I'm delighted that Sam has followed in my footsteps and is serving in the only profession that really challenges a man.

Salute, Private!

No comments: