Monday, March 16, 2009

Fourth Raid

I arrive at Union, north of Rector's Crossroads, and get the word out that I'm forming a raid. I get about the same number of recruits as last time. Meanwhile, the Yanks reinforce Winchester with a large force. Harry Gilmor and his partisans raid the B&O Railroad, with the result that the Yanks are alert now. But then I get a little good news: the Union boys have repaired all the railroad lines that I destroyed. But since their lines are still in disarray, I can go back in and destroy them again!

I need to be careful now. With the Yanks on high alert, I won't have much room for error. Hedgesville is wide open and a definite target. Charlestown is a bit riskier. Rappahannock Station is ungarrisoned, but there's a Union garrison at nearby Elk Run.

I decide to do Charlestown first, because after I start, my chance at surprise is going to decline. I might get away clean on my first raid. We'll see. Ha! Destroyed the rail line, and neither adjacent garrison pursued me. I destroy the rail at Hedgesville next and then countermarch to Rappahannock Station, where I destroy that rail line. Incredibly, the garrison at Elk Run stays put!

Exploiting the hole in the Union lines at Bristoe Station, I infiltrate through Brentsville, where a local informs me that there is a large garrison at Independence Hill.

For my last exploit I probe near Manassas Junction, triggering a massive pursuit. I race westward and hide at Rector's Crossroads. The Yanks that chased me left Manassas Junction completely uncovered. So as the Blue-Bellies wander through the countryside, I double-back and destroy the rail line there. I then sneak into Union Mills--also ungarrisoned--and burn the bridge there. A large body of troops gives chase from Centreville, and they defeat my little band, forcing me to disband and end the raid.

Still, I'm doing very well now.

No comments: