Thursday, April 30, 2009

Of Stairs and Japanese Machineguns...

The house is looking amazing. It's all framed and has a roof, and today they put in the stairs to the second floor. Zanne and I and the kids explored the house this evening after the workers left. It's just exactly what I've always wanted (and worked for) in a house. We are so excited about it.

Peter came over and yet again bested me in Combat Commander: Pacific. We played an Iwo Jima scenario, and I had a strong outfit of Marines and supporting weapons. I started out by unleashing a barrage of cannister on the lead defenders who were cowering in a cave far above me. I broke the unit there and then finished them off with massed machinegun fire. Good start.

My main maneuver unit advanced slowly, soaking up casualties along the way, but throughout the fight, I gradually attrited the bad guys. I called in an airstrike that hammered his pesky mortar team, and Sergeant Burke's Marines then finished them off with long-range rifle fire. As the fight went on, Burke was able to maneuver his guys all the way around the enemy's flank to the ridge just below the main objective--a long concrete building. Burke got his veteran Marine squad next to the building, and they let loose with their flamethrower, torching one Japanese squad. Private Hoss, my hero, then charged the broken squad but got ambushed and killed before he could destroy them.

By this point in the battle, the Japs had killed two of my leaders and lots of Marines, but I had a solid reinforced platoon with machineguns and flamethrowers right next to the objective. Just then my command system broke down badly. The Japs reinforced the building and poured fires downhill against Burke and his guys. Before they could recover themselves, Burke got killed, and everything fell apart.

Damn good fight! Very fun, and very close.

No comments: