Monday, April 20, 2009

France '40

I'm playing Field Commander: Rommel, a solitaire wargame that includes Rommel's campaigns in France (1940), North Africa (1941-3), and France (1944). I'm trying the first scenario, which I've managed to lose repeatedly in previous playings. Either I don't get it, or I'm very unlucky, or the game is flawed, because the Allies always seem to win.

12-19 May, 1940: I decide to commit my whole division against Dinant, where two French regiments are defending. Even though this will over-burden my logistics, I feel it is necessary to really hit the defenders hard and destroy them fast. As I reconnoiter the enemy, I discover they have artillery, and the defenders are dug-in. I decide to assault and overrun the enemy, and I'm also going to exploit if I win. That way, I can knock out the French in Reims, too.

I annihilate the French regiments, taking some damage to my 7th Schutzen Regiment. The 25th Panzer and 78th Artillery become veteran. Leaving the two infantry regiments behind, I race the two motorized regiments to Reims and attack the French 3rd Regiment. My intel is able to detect reinforcements moving toward the defenders, so I send air to interdict them. I then plan to press the fight and use superior tactics to hopefully destroy them. I destroy them, but the 78th Artillery is damaged. The 25th Panzer is now elite.

Because I was able to advance, my supplies are sufficient, despite the initial over-crowding at Dinant. I accumulate a bunch of supply. I had the option instead of bringing in Totenkopf Regiment, but I need the supplies to refit my damaged regiments. Once I take Cambrai, I'll bring in reinforcements.

In response to my lightening advance, the French release the 25th Armor Regiment at Calais. The British 1st Tyneside Regiment counterattacks against Reims. The Belgian Chasseurs move south into Cambrai. The French 25th Armor moves into Brussels. The British attempt an overrun. I respond by digging in and then planning an armored assault. This is very expensive in terms of supply, but it will guarantee success. I destroy the attackers, and the 78th Artillery is now elite.

The Allies brought on three new regiments: an infantry in Paris, another armor regiment in Calais, and a motorized in Caen.

20-27 May, 1940: I refit the 78th Artillery, which is now downgraded to veteran. My plan now is to surge all my forces into Cambrai and destroy the enemy there. It will be a tough fight. The Allied defenses are strong: the Belgian Chasseurs, and two British infantry regiments. The enemy sets up in ambush, and they try to disrupt my supplies and deploy reinforcements to the battle. I will have my work cut out for me. I decide to use intelligence to hopefully interdict the reinforcements or uncover the ambush. I'm also using tactics and an armored assault. My intel gets me past the ambush safely. But the French 37th Armor Regiment joins the battle. In the end, I manage to damage all four enemy regiments without taking any significant losses. But my forces have to retreat back to their starting positions.

The French 37th Armor refits, as do the Belgian Chasseurs. The French 1st Armor arrives in Paris. The Allies counterattack my forces all along the front. Two armored regiments slam into my hapless infantry in Dinant, while another armor regiment and infantry hit my lead forces at Reims. I anticipate losing the infantry at Dinant, so I send air and AT guns in the hope of inflicting maximum damage. The enemy destroys the 7th Schutzen and damages the 6th, but my infantry, AT guns, and air manage to damage both armor regiments and force them to retreat. The attack at Reims was also repulsed, but all units in the fight were damaged.

The Allies bring in more reinforcements to Calais and Caen while also building up their supplies. I really don't see how the Germans are supposed to win this one. My forces are exhausted, my supplies are gone, and I'm outnumbered everywhere.

28 May - 4 June 1940: I attack at Paris, and both sides are wiped out. I give up. I simply don't get this scenario. I see no possible way for the Germans to win.

On the positive side, they delivered the wood to frame our house today.

No comments: