Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Ups and Downs of House Buying

We close on the new house on 14 July. Woot! Zanne-zanne the Amazing Woman found the most incredible deal I've ever seen. After months of researching banks and loans, she suddenly stumbled upon a deal from the West Virginia Development Fund called a 3-2-1 buydown. When a participating lender offers a loan for a new construction house (like ours!) WV will buydown the mortgage rate (no cost to us!!) 3% for the first year, 2% for the second year, and 1% for the third year! After that the rate reverts to its fixed level. This is just plain old free money.

In addition, the feds will give us an $8000 tax credit this year, because we are patriotically buying a house. Free money is my favorite kind.

On the down side...we have discovered the oogies related to "owner financing". Our borrower is currently in default. We are hoping he comes up with what he owes us in time for our closing, or we may be passing the hat to cover closing costs. Worst case may include foreclosing on him and re-selling the property...which, in this economy, may not be feasible.

I pulled out an old wargame called Geronimo, which I've had for years but never really played. It is a simulation of the Indian wars in the trans-Mississippi west. So far (1851-55), the US Army has been trading small blows with the Modoc, Cheyenne, Navajo, and some others. The biggest event so far was that the American Civil War occurred early, which has the effect of denuding the west of US soldiers. I expect to make Kansas a state this year, and possibly Nebraska, too.

Picked up a game from GMT on the Battle of Saratoga. Like all GMT games, it is beautiful and looks like a hoot.

Playing two games of Wilderness War--one online, and another face to face with Peter. I'm the Brits in the first one and the Frogs in the other. My Brits are doing okay--took Louisburg and Fort Duquesne--but I'm starved for more reinforcements, and my expeditionary army near Quebec just got wiped out to a man.

I did my eschatology pitch at the Lab last week, and it was very well received.

Zanne has been watching Horatio Hornblower with me lately, and she likes it, which I find amazing. At the start of each episode, I'm forced to lie to her that "this one includes a steamy romance". It's worked so far.

Zanne also baked Tolehouse Cookies for Sam (from scratch--a recipe she got from her mom, which makes me suspicious), and I sent them off to him today, along with some magazines and my Heroes of Might and Magic III game.

Sam graduates on 9 July, and we're going to fly out to watch.

No comments: