Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Russians Triumphant!

Private Samuel Grant Leonhard departs for basic training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. tomorrow. Salute, son! Wish you the very best, and I'm confident you will kick some serious hiney! Sam joins a proud tradition: Great-great-grandfather Harry Leonhard was a Spanish-American War hero; Grandfather Donald Leonhard served as a Sergeant First Class in the Army Air Force in WWII (served in North Africa, India, and the CBI theater); Dad was a career infantry officer in the Army and veteran of Desert Storm; Sister Beverly is a captain/doctor in the Air Force; Brother Bobby was a sergeant in the WV National Guard and a veteran of OIF! Bring it home, Sam!

So after a week of being sick and being away from home, I re-started my boot camp. Did the Biggest Loser level 3 workout yesterday, and it kicked my butt. Amazing how fast you can get out of shape. I didn't gain any weight, but I clearly lost muscle and endurance. Did the death machine today, but I've been slacking on muscle-building. Need to get back into it. Down to 204 in weight, which is very good...but a long way to go.

Peter came over tonight, and we played Combat Commander--a Stalingrad scenario. I was the Russians trying to hold onto a strategically important sector. I didn't kill too many Germans, but I was able to disrupt his attack long enough to prevent him from winning. He didn't even try to take my main fortifications, but he launched a well-led and well-executed attack along my left flank, snatching two objectives and contesting a third before I counterattacked. Captain Kornelov arrived with a reinforced platoon and eventually destroyed the lead elements of his main attack, taking one of the lost objectives back. Meanwhile, I held on to the last objective--it was contested by the end of the day. The Russians won handily. I think Peter might have done better if he had tried to contest my main fortifications, which he had an opportunity to do. Basically, I'm a genius.

Zanne and I watched Fireproof last night. Amateur acting, but a good Christian story. We've also been watching the first season of Survivor, which I never saw.

1 comment:

Iris said...

...we are proud and thankful to have young Samuel beginning his time of service to the U.S. of A.!