Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Running on Empty

That's the name of one of my running songs. Anyways, I've been running 40 minutes per day, increasing the speed and distance each time. Today I started at incline of 2.0 and a speed of 6.0. After 20 minutes, I increased to 6.5. After another 10 minutes I increased to 7.0, and for the last minute I went to 8.0. Distance was about 4.3 miles.

My philosophy has been to gradually increase speed and distance, but I'm getting impatient. The worst part of each run is the first ten minutes, because 6.0 is way too slow. I need to experiment with a brief warm-up and then a jump to 7.0, which feels much more comfortable. I might try to do 8.0 for the last five minutes next time and see how that goes down. Knees and heels are fair--not great, but not bad either.

Bottom line: I love running. I really look forward to it every day. I forgot how much I enjoyed it in my youth, but my body is quickly adapting to it again, and I love it.

1 comment:

Jacob Bixler said...

What do you love about it so much? How do you keep yourself going?