Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Jimmy Carter

I'm re-reading Our Endangered Values by Carter. I have conflicting thoughts about the man and his views. I cannot doubt that he is a believer in Christ. He states so directly. He has dedicated much of his life to very meritorious activities, like missionary work, poverty relief, etc. One cannot help but admire his accomplishments, including his work for the Lord.

His book, however, makes a strong distinction between what he describes as "evangelical" Christianity, and "fundamentalist" Christianity. He sees himself as the former. He loves the Bible, thinks it is God's Word, but does not hold to literal interpretation nor inerrancy. He hates fundamentalists. That's a strong statement, but I think the book justifies it. He accuses fundamentalists of stupidity, rigidity, and hate-mongering. Obviously, he is targeting George Bush primarily, and the religious right in general. It's a little amusing that he is a strong advocate for tolerating and loving Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Catholics...EVERYBODY...except those fundamentalists!

I find myself wondering how God will judge Jimmy Carter. Will he applaud him or discipline him for rejecting the truth of scripture? Carter boasts about his duties as a Sunday School teacher, and he no doubt has many admirers in that regard. But I find myself totally unimpressed and disappointed with Carter's metaphorical view of prophecy. I've never been able to regard the metaphorical school as anything but a group of people who love the devil's world more than they love the truth of scripture. They remain, in my opinion, the saddest of creatures, who simply cannot align their own desires with those of God. Jesus Christ, if his word is to be believed, has in mind a dramatic intervention to end human history. There will be bloodshed, judgment, and condemnation. There will also be grace, salvation, and glory. The Apocalypse will be a catastrophe for those invested in this world, and blessed relief for those who have not.

Anyway, I'm as frustrated with Carter the Christian as I was with Carter the president.

No comments: